Available LanguagesLanguage En Basilica and Collegiate Parish church of Saint GeorgeSt George's Basilica or the Basilica and Collegiate Parish church of Saint George also simply known as San Gorg in Maltese, is a Baroque church situated in the middle of Victoria the second largest island in the Maltese archipelago, and is surrounded by a maze of old narrow streets and alleys. Today's basilica was built between 1672 and 1678. This parish church is referred to as "the golden church" of Gozo. It is entirely covered with marble and gold stucco. The church houses two works of art by the famous painter Mattia PretiThese are the main altar piece representing St George with the dragon and the other in a side chapel representing the Holy Souls.