‘Noeveren’ is a hamlet of the municipality of Boom, located between the centre of Boom, East of the railway, and the municipal boundary with Niel west, and between the road to Niel (Nielsestraat) and the Rupel. Noeveren was an industrial and workers area, with the brickworks of course as main industries, but also ceramics and glass workshops, metalworks and some shipyards. This nucleus was not planned but grew spontaneously since the 16th century. All residential elements have a built-in walking distance of 400 metres within the residential area, this is five minutes walk, and they are at a distance of 800 metres of each other. Between these were the working places. A road running parallel to the Rupel, called the ‘Noeverseweg’, ensures that the workers live at a very short distance from their workplace. The limited core functions such as shops and pubss are grouped around a small square, the ‘Noeverseplein’ and in the ‘Noeverseweg’. There was a local school with a teacher’s house in the Nielsestraat, 137-139. The excavations caused large terrain level differences; The Nielsestraat, which extends as a dike above the rest of the landscape, is used for intercommunal traffic, local traffic is using the lower level roads. The connection between the clay excavations (which were to the north of the Nielsestraat), and the drying sheds kilns to the south of it, was made possible through underpasses, also used by residents: these tunnels were dug under the road from about 1850. The workers' houses were mostly built in series by the factory owners. Only a few houses with 18th century kernel were preserved, most we can now see date between 1845 and 1935. They are dispersed in groups along the edges of a brickwork, around a square, along a street or along a lane. The brick owner’s homes usually date from about 1845-1850. The whole area has been protected townscape, on 25 July 1986.