A first airport was installed during the First War by the German Army in Marke, on the other side of the Leie, next to the bridge with Bissegem. In 1916 another airfield was also built by the German army on the edge of the territory of Bissegem. When determining the location, the proximity of the Leie and the railway played the biggest role. After a while, this area was expanded towards the neighboring municipality of Wevelgem. In 1921 land in Wevelgem was reserved for the expansion of the airport and for the establishment of military barracks. Three years later in 1924, the airport became a flying school. During the Second War the German Luftwaffe made use of the airfield, reconquered in 1944 and used by the English Air Force, returned to the Belgian Air Force in 1946.
It becomes a place where aircraft were for stored, assembled and tested, in 1958 reduced to a storage, 'Depot No. 6' ands dissolved in 1962. In 1969 the military domain was transferred, partly to the provincial government, partly to the South-West Flemish association of local authorities ‘Leiedal’. Part of it became an industrial park.
The airport is now a polyvalent airport, partly used as a business airport (11%), partly as a helicopter base (20%), but mainly as a leisure and sports airport.. There are also airline clubs and a flying school, and some old-timer airplanes have their residence and can be seen from time to time in the air around Wevelgem and Bissegem.
The airport is also the home of the Flanders Aviation Society and their Aviation Museum, housed in a former hospital bunker, built by the German occupier during World War II. Hundred Years of Air History passes the revue, from the biplane to the F-16 fighter plane. The small museum, run by volunteers, shows old and modern construction materials, instruments, engines, the black box and the weather radar. In addition, you will see an audio-visual on the history and operation of the regional airport.
Vlaamse Educatief Luchtvaart Museum vzw
Luchthavenstraat 1 bus 2, 8560 Wevelgem