Sint-Jansmolen (Saint Johns Mill)
Former water mill crushing oil seeds and milling grains, which finds its origins in the 16th c. and was till 1788 property of the government, producing for the many military present in the town. In 1788 the mill and its rights were ceded to Philippe Vandenberghe, and from 1845 onwards sold to changing owners who adapted the mill regularly. Remark the date stone with’1898' in the facade.
In 1896 a steam engine was installed, which - together with the still used hydraulic power - made this mill the most powerful and most profitable mill of the region. Shortly after 1900 the waterwheel was put out of use, the steam engine replaced by a powerful diesel engine. After the Second War activities stopped and the equipment was removed.
The building is a protected monument since December 13th 1991.
Fabiolalaan z/n, Menen